Synchrotron radiation research facilities, science and technology, training, collaboration
SESAME's main mission is laid down in the Statutes that established the Centre on 15 April 2004. Primarily, the Statutes state that:
"SESAME shall provide for collaboration in the Middle East and the Mediterranean Region with free access to all scientists of SESAME members in relevant areas of research, being also open to scientists from the whole world, in basic and applied research using synchrotron radiation or closely related topics."
"Special support will be given to work of relevance to the region and scientific and industrial research. SESAME shall not undertake classified work for military purposes or other secret research, and the results of its experimental and theoretical activities shall be ultimately published or otherwise made generally available."
The Statutes also state that the programme of SESAME shall in particular consist of the following activities:
- Installation, operation, maintenance and upgrading of:
- the synchrotron light source;
- the light beams, spectrometers and other detectors;
- the ancillary equipment and laboratories;
- Provision of research facilities for scientists and engineers from the region and elsewhere;
- Training of scientists, engineers and technicians;
- Scientific and technical help to users, and general help to users as far as travel, housing, transportation and other needs are concerned;
- Organization and sponsoring of international cooperation in the field of SESAME's activities.